MY DIY CO-SLEEPER

• AUTHOR: // CATEGORY: 0-6 months, 3rd Trimester, Gadgets, The Baby Years

74 Comments

After Mumma’s Caesarian with little Alice, it’s six weeks of recovery with no driving, no lifting anything heavier than the baby (lucky it wasn’t me or I’d have a hard time going to the bathroom, if I wasn’t allowed to lift anything heavier than a baby) 😉, and definitely no hanky-panky.

Which is why my eyebrows flew off my head when Mumma mentioned a threesome. What she actually meant was three of us sharing the bed, due to the fact that Alice is a brilliant sleeper during the day, but at night, just wants to be held. Kind of like my lonely single years during the late 90’s.

But co-sleeping with the baby in the bed can lead to all kinds of issues such as overheating or a risk of waking up with a baby pancake in between you (ie: my personal greatest fear), not to mention being a highly effective cock-blocker, and is somewhat frowned upon by the SIDS people.

So we decided to put the baby basinet beside the bed instead. Problem with that is it’s a good Danny Devito size taller than our bed, meaning Mumma has to use her tummy muscles to get up out of bed and reach up and over into the basinet to pick Alice up, which is against all the rules for a healthy recovery.

So, I looked online at some amazingly cool co-sleeping solutions that tend to retail between $400-$600 smakeroos (wtf?), and as the moths wilted lifelessly out of my wallet, I decided to take matters into my own hands. I designed my own version and after a quick trip to Bunnings and Clark Rubber, I truly felt like a man and a dad.

Actually building something with my own two hands for my own daughter and for the health and comfort of my beautiful wife. Scoring points big time with both my girls at once. My gift to you, my lovely one. Your very own convertible co-sleeper to help ease you both through the night.

And if it happens to act as an anti-cock-blocking solution, well…that’s just icing on the cake.

Merry Christmas, my love.

Click images to enlarge
    Please follow and like us:
    Truth vs Magic: Rudolph or Revelation?
    Christmas Lights Spectacular

COMMENTS

74 Responses to My DIY Co-sleeper

• Autumn wrote on December 12, 2014 at 7:56 // Reply

Rock on, Justin!! Way to DIY!! Merry Christmas!! 🙂

• Vicki @ Knocked Up and Abroad wrote on December 12, 2014 at 8:06 // Reply

Nice work Daddy x

• 40YrOldDad wrote on December 12, 2014 at 8:48 // Reply

Thanks, Vick. And still plenty of time before Baby Vick Mark III arrives for your hubby to build one for you too xx

• Dadinator wrote on December 12, 2014 at 8:47 // Reply

We side car our little girl too. She lasts a while in there, but ends up in the bed eventually. The real issue with co sleeping is how your child manages to occupy a space 10 times larger than themselves, leaving nothing for ma and pa….

Oh, and its not the “cock block” you should worry about, its the random fly-kick in the nether regions….

• 40YrOldDad wrote on December 12, 2014 at 9:06 // Reply

I’ve had to push the walnuts out of my throat from a two year old knee-drop during a morning bed cuddle before, so thanks for the reminder, Seamus. Will have to dig through my old cricket bag for my ball guard, just as a precautionary measure me thinks.

• Jan wrote on December 12, 2014 at 2:40 // Reply

Bloody brilliant! Wish I’d had one of these for my c-section recovery!

• 40YrOldDad wrote on December 12, 2014 at 5:02 // Reply

It sure makes things easier for Mumma, that’s for sure. Thanks, Jan.

• David Hawkins wrote on December 13, 2014 at 7:44 // Reply

I am in awe of your amazing dad-ness! You are a dab hand at the old woodwork. I bet your Year 7 pencil holder didn’t look like a piece of wood that had been attacked by a woodpecker on ice. Please don’t show this to my wife or she’s going to begin having expectations.

• 40YrOldDad wrote on December 15, 2014 at 2:52 // Reply

Apart from ‘love’ and two children, I’m not really used to making anything myself on a scale this big. I only have a handful of tools and my saw bench was an old wooden chair with a rope tied to it to hold down the wood as I sawed it. Mind you, I did feel an immense sense of self-satisfaction at the end of it (same as I experienced with ‘love’ and two children) 😉

• Ma wrote on December 14, 2014 at 2:01 // Reply

What a clever dick

• 40YrOldDad wrote on December 15, 2014 at 2:54 // Reply

I assure you, ‘that’ had absolutely nothing to do with it 😉

• Ma wrote on December 14, 2014 at 2:04 // Reply
  • Cait wrote on April 6, 2015 at 7:52 // Reply

What did you use for your mattress? I love this co sleeper!

• 40YrOldDad wrote on April 6, 2015 at 8:40 // Reply

I just went to Clark Rubber and got 15cm mattress foam cut to size. It was the foam they recommended for baby cots. Cost around $35 from memory. Just make sure it’s a couple centimetres smaller than the inside of the box so there’s enough clearance to drop it in if you decide to line the inside walls with foam as I did. Otherwise you’ll struggle to get it in. Pushing in foam against foam is a bit like working against Velcro and then you also want to be able to tuck your sheets and blankets in as well.

• Adam Harrison wrote on April 21, 2015 at 8:52 // Reply

I’m totally stealing this. Question though: what kind of wood did you use? It looks like it’s one solid piece! But that can’t be! How did you get sheets that big that aren’t plywood?

• 40YrOldDad wrote on April 21, 2015 at 9:20 // Reply

I used 2 sheets of 7mm MDF for the box and 40mm square pine for the legs. If you send me your email address, I’m happy to send you the plans I made. My wife loved using it! It was really helpful to her.

• Michele wrote on October 21, 2015 at 9:53 // Reply

This is exactly what I am looking for!! Do you mind sending me the plans?

• 40YrOldDad wrote on October 21, 2015 at 10:06 // Reply

Hi Michele, always happy to share my plans, dependent on you reviewing and accepting a couple of conditions first. I’ll send them through to you.

• Aleshia wrote on February 22, 2016 at 9:43 // Reply

Could you send me through a set of plans? Also, how did you secure the foam inserts? Just glue? Cheers!

• 40YrOldDad wrote on February 22, 2016 at 3:43 // Reply

I’ve sent you through an email, Aleshia, that should cover everything.

• Aleshia wrote on February 22, 2016 at 3:49 // Reply

I got the email with the terms and conditions and replied to it but haven’t got the plans through yet

• 40YrOldDad wrote on February 24, 2016 at 12:02 // Reply

You should have the plans now, Aleshia.

• Ocean wrote on February 24, 2016 at 6:49 // Reply

Could you PLEASE send me the plans for this?

• 40YrOldDad wrote on February 24, 2016 at 7:02 // Reply

Hi Ocean, I’ll email you directly.

• Shaheen wrote on February 26, 2016 at 6:28 // Reply

Hi could you please send me the plans?

• 40YrOldDad wrote on May 25, 2016 at 1:56 // Reply

Have emailed you directly, Shaheen.

• Chanda Gallagher wrote on May 1, 2016 at 5:33 // Reply

Can you please give me more information about the foam inserts. Are they covered? Are they attached to the cosleeper?

• 40YrOldDad wrote on May 1, 2016 at 10:03 // Reply

The foam inserts along the inside walls of the co-sleeper are glued in with a hot glue gun and are not covered, however, you could easily cover them with a soft fabric before glueing them to the walls. The foam mattress insert the baby sleeps on is not connected and just slots in and out but is covered by a bassinet sheet as you would with your bassinet. You do need to allow a finger-space of room between the mattress and the foam walls if they’re not covered to be able to get the mattress in and out and to tuck the sheets in down the side. Otherwise, its foam against foam which kind of sticks to each other a bit like velcro and is hard to get out easily. I hope that answers your questions.

• Marcelo wrote on May 3, 2016 at 12:21 // Reply

Hi! can you please send me the plans and any info you think we might need? My wife loooves the idea of a cosleeper, and this will be in the to do list after removing popcorn ceiling…
    Thanks!

• 40YrOldDad wrote on May 3, 2016 at 1:27 // Reply

No problem, Marcelo. I’ll email you more info.

• Kylie wrote on May 24, 2016 at 11:00 // Reply

This is is exactly what we’ve been looking for! Great job. Can I trouble you to send me the plans please

• 40YrOldDad wrote on May 25, 2016 at 1:53 // Reply

No problem, Kylie. Will email you directly.

• Adrian Lenning wrote on June 1, 2016 at 5:33 // Reply

Awesome co sleeper! Would like to make one for our baby girl who is due at the end of June. Would it be possible to send the plans to us here in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil?

• 40YrOldDad wrote on June 7, 2016 at 9:36 // Reply

Sure thing, Adrian. I will email you directly and good luck with the arrival of your baby girl.

• Ma wrote on June 4, 2016 at 10:16 // Reply

inventor patent time Juss, don’t you think?

• Glen wrote on June 12, 2016 at 2:39 // Reply

I have been looking for something exactly like this. Can I trouble you for your plans? Although I’m sure mine won’t turn out as well as that one

• 40YrOldDad wrote on June 13, 2016 at 1:47 // Reply

Sure thing, Glen. I’ll email you directly.

• Leanna wrote on June 16, 2016 at 6:39 // Reply

Please please please may I have the plans?

• 40YrOldDad wrote on June 16, 2016 at 11:51 // Reply

Yes, yes, yes. I will email you directly.

• Laura wrote on July 13, 2016 at 7:29 // Reply

First of all congratulations you and your wife for little Alice!

I am expecting my baby next september. I love your project, it is just I was looking for! Awesome co sleeper!

Could you please send me the plans by mail! It could be great!

Cheers!

• 40YrOldDad wrote on July 13, 2016 at 7:37 // Reply

No problem, Laura. I’ll be in touch with you directly and congratulations on your pregnancy. May it be a safe and healthy arrival.

• Steve and JuneBug wrote on August 28, 2016 at 10:58 // Reply

My new Aussie Friend Justin, Some fine compliments for you and your family from the fine folks. I too look forward to your plans. Many blessings for you Justin and your Family, Kindness and Blessing from Steve and June Hoover Living life in Beaumont CA USA.

• 40YrOldDad wrote on August 28, 2016 at 11:30 // Reply

Plans are on their way, Steve and June 😉

• Chelsea S wrote on October 23, 2016 at 3:15 // Reply

I absolutely love this! May I get the specifics when you get the chance, especially on the drop side portion? My baby-to-be and I would appreciate it very much!

• 40YrOldDad wrote on October 23, 2016 at 3:19 // Reply

Absolutely, Chelsea. Will contact you directly. Cheers 🙂

• Jocelyn wrote on October 31, 2016 at 5:00 // Reply

This is so amazing! We are expecting our first in April, and would love to have one of these. Can you send me the plans on this?

• 40YrOldDad wrote on October 31, 2016 at 6:52 // Reply

Sure thing, Jocelyn. I’ll message you directly.

• Laura G. wrote on October 31, 2016 at 9:21 // Reply

I love this! Can you email me the plans and I structions with material list please? I need this for my baby that’s coming soon I’m super excited TIA!!!

• 40YrOldDad wrote on October 31, 2016 at 9:28 // Reply

I’m excited that you’re excited, Laura. Will email you directly. Cheers 😄

• John wrote on November 6, 2016 at 4:55 // Reply

This is an amazing idea! Mind if I steal the plans for how to build one?

• 40YrOldDad wrote on November 6, 2016 at 7:23 // Reply

Hi John, ‘oopsie’. We talk quite a bit about stealing and snatching with my four year old and it’s something we frown upon. However, I am more than happy to ‘share’ them with you instead, as that is how roll in this household. 😉 Will contact you directly, Cheers 🙂

• Monique wrote on January 6, 2017 at 1:32 // Reply

Could you email me the plans as well please, its a bit unclear on image.

• 40YrOldDad wrote on January 6, 2017 at 8:18 // Reply

No problem, Monique. Will contact you directly.

• Karen Durbin wrote on February 2, 2017 at 8:28 // Reply

Could you send me the plans also?

• Justin P Bechtold wrote on February 2, 2017 at 8:44 // Reply

Absolutely, Karen. I’ll email you directly. Cheers.

• Kevin wrote on February 14, 2017 at 11:51 // Reply

Hi there. I have a daughter who is expecting and I would love to have a copy of the plans. She had mentioned this. I noticed you used a magnet to hold the door closed.. is this strong? Where did you get that magnet from? Thanks much…

• Mack wrote on March 21, 2017 at 7:38 // Reply

I am very impressed with the stunning work you have done here! I would love the plans as well. Would you be able to send them to me?
    Thanks!

• 40YrOldDad wrote on March 21, 2017 at 8:07 // Reply

Sure thing, Mack. Will message you directly. Cheers 😁

• Carlos wrote on April 6, 2017 at 11:30 // Reply

Funcional and aesthetically pleasing… nice work. Would yo mind sharing the plans? Thanks!

• 40YrOldDad wrote on April 6, 2017 at 11:32 // Reply

No problem, Carlos. I will contact you directly. Cheers 😉

• Ben wrote on April 10, 2017 at 1:30 // Reply

I’m going to be another beggar and ask for the plans on this! We are having our next c-section at the end of the month, and the missus want to try a co-sleeper with this one. I showed her this one and she loved it!

• 40YrOldDad wrote on April 10, 2017 at 9:30 // Reply

Congrats on your upcoming arrival, Ben. More than happy to send the plans out. Thanks for the kind words. Will contact you directly. Cheers 👍🏻

• Brandi wrote on May 15, 2017 at 9:43 // Reply

My brother and I were combing through tons of DIY bedside co-sleepers for his little one due in August and found yours to be just what we were looking for!!! So cool that you did this yourself! We would love to do this as a project together. Hoping you’re still sharing?

• Justin P Bechtold wrote on May 15, 2017 at 11:03 // Reply

Hey, Brandi. Not a problem Congrats to your brother and I will contact you directly regarding the plans. Cheers 😉

• Hendriette Crause wrote on June 14, 2017 at 10:08 // Reply

This is stunning! Our 3rd and 4th grand childen are on the way. One November 2017 and one Februarie 2018. Both “mommys to be” really want co sleepers but in South Africa that is too exspensive, I almost gave up hope on finding one that would look good and will not brake the bank. Please if you would be so kind and share your plans?? Stunning work!!

• Justin P Bechtold wrote on July 9, 2017 at 10:41 // Reply

Thanks for the lovely compliments, Hendriette. I’ll contact you directly.

• Regan L Gross wrote on July 9, 2017 at 10:30 // Reply

My kids are toddlers but I need this for my toy dogs…my husband is so over them in the bed! Love the design! The choices available via retail are hideous.

• Justin P Bechtold wrote on July 9, 2017 at 10:44 // Reply

Probably the most unique request I’ve had, Regan. I’ll contact you directly. 😉

• Micah Harrell wrote on July 13, 2017 at 6:31 // Reply

This is really awesome man! Great job! I’ve seen a few people asking if you’d share the plans. Any way I could ask the same?

• 40YrOldDad wrote on July 14, 2017 at 8:30 // Reply

Hey, Micah. Really appreciate the compliment and very happy to share my plans. I’ll message you directly. Cheers.

• Sean wrote on September 7, 2017 at 2:07 // Reply

Can I have those plans?

• Justin P Bechtold wrote on September 7, 2017 at 8:46 // Reply

No worries, Sean. I’ll contact you directly.

Don't leave me hangin'. What's your thoughts?

Read more:
Close up of Elf on a Shelf
Video proof that our Elf On The Shelf is ALIVE

This year we had a very special Elf on the Shelf visitor stay with us for the lead up to Christmas. Every year Santa sends...